Ever wish you could just sit down and have lunch with a journalist? How about two journalists? We’re very grateful to have been able to offer this opportunity at a small luncheon to 11 fantastic DC-based partners of News Generation.
On Thursday, two highly respected journalists joined us at Carmine’s for the luncheon: Mitchell Miller, News Director at WTOP and Kavitha Cardoza, Special Correspondent at WAMU. During the lunch, Kavitha and Mitchell each spent time with all attendees, answering questions top of mind to DC’s best and brightest communicators.
While not giving away all the insider tips that were given, here are a few trends that were highlighted:
- More and more, newsrooms are thinking longer term in terms of their content planning;
- Do follow up with a reporter if you have not received a response on a pitch;
- Absolutely stay away from having spokespeople on cell phones – it results in terrible sound quality;
- More and more reporters are required to additionally write the web-based version of their story; and
- Twitter and other forms of social media have definitely evolved the structure of news organizations for the better.
Feel free to flip through our slide show from the luncheon. We look forward to a continued relationship with all of our superb partners into 2015. Happy holidays!