As the end of 2017 is fast approaching, it’s time to start looking towards the New Year, and all of the new trends it will bring with it. Entrepreneur has predicted 10 social media trends we will see in 2018, and according to Deep Patel, Entrepreneur contributor, changing technologies will impact the online world…
- Rise of augmented reality: Apple recently introduced their new iPhones, equipped with augmented reality capability – we will likely see the name from apps like Snapchat and Instagram in 2018.
- Increasing popularity of Instagram Stories: According to Patel, “nearly half off all Instagram users will be using Stories by the end of 2018.”
- Continued investment in influencer marketing: As social media continues to grow, so does the power of influencers.
- Focus on Generation Z: According to Goldman Sachs, Generation Z is “more valuable to most organization than millennials.” Patel predicts that brands will shift their strategies to better target Generation Z social media users.
- Increasing brand participation in messaging platform: Again, as personal social media use continues to grow, so will the demand for our favorite brands to connect with us via social media.
- Expansion of Live Streaming: Live streaming gives your audience a real-time, real-life look into your brand or company, and with streaming offered through various platforms, it may be more accessible than ever.
- Rethinking Twitter: Due to a decline in Twitter use, we will likely see some changes coming from Twitter’s leadership, the article predicts.
- Digital hangouts go mainstream: Patel predicts that Facebook will create an online hangout product in 2018, as apps like Houseparty became popular with millennials in 2017.
- Facebook Spaces goes mainstream: Facebook has also been working on “Spaces,” a product that will allow you to connect with your friends through virtual reality.
- Social platforms embrace stronger governance policies: Patel also predicts, “Given the wide criticism that Facebook and Twitter received during 2017, it is likely that these platforms will embrace codes of conduct and governance policies that protect the brands from future criticism.”
Consider these predicted trends when strategizing for 2018 projects, staying on top of trends can mean reaching your audience in relevant ways.